Most business leaders accept and agree that the financial success of a business often relies on the whole hearted participation and discretionary effort of its employees.
The most successful businesses are those that devise strategies and tactics that encourage employees to actively go about creating value.
There are many tried and tested tactics used to drive ‘engagement’ that result in employees “going the extra mile” and feeling positive about the role they play within the organisation.
The reality though is that the wealth generated as a result of this “extra” often flows to somebody else rather than the employees and they become acutely aware of this.
In our opinion, employee ownership presents a “win-win” opportunity for everyone involved in a business. The logic being that employees with an ownership interest in the business will be more motivated and committed to producing successful outcomes.
If this is combined with a culture of ‘engagement’ where employees are treated with respect and involved in appropriate levels of decision-making, the business becomes more productive, competitive, entrepreneurial and profitable.
Employees, as owners, share in the benefits resulting from the use of their talents and energy so going the ‘extra mile’ is now in their interests as co-owners which will help the business outperform its competitors.
In this way, employee owned businesses develop ‘ownership’ as a business value for the benefit of everyone involved in the business as opposed to using engagement as a tool to effect a short term or exploitative gain.
Co-ownership Solutions can help you whether you’re looking to solve a specific challenge, design a culture development programme, or just want someone to act as ‘sounding board’ to help you think through ideas and perspectives.
SOME OF THE AREAS WE COVER ARE:
- Building a strong organisation ethos (values and vision) and bringing this alive;
- Developing a co-ownership culture and an understanding of people’s rights and responsibilities;
- Designing Governance within the organisation;
- Defining the role of elected representatives by involving Directors, Managers and Elected Reps;
- Training of employee elected Directors, Trustees and representatives in how to carry out their role effectively, understand their legal duties and how to deal with misconceptions about their role;
- Effective communication methods within co-owned organisations, including harnessing the employee voice.
- General facilitation to enable important people to participate rather than facilitate;
- Development courses for people who lead teams (at all levels) to help them be more successful in their role;
- Coaching and mentoring;
- Employee surveys and ‘productive culture’ reviews.
How can we help?
If you want to create or develop a culture where employees ‘think, feel and act’ like owners, we can help you to identify your existing position, ideal future position and the steps required to bridge the gap. We are happy to meet at client’s offices, or at our London office, without charge or future obligation. Please contact us for an initial discussion.